Makes 10-12 cups (Serving Size is 2 to 3 cups)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 ¼ lbs. lean ground beef, turkey or chopped chicken*
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red, orange and/or green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large zucchini or yellow squash, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 bottle (46 oz.) reduced-sodium tomato or vegetable cocktail juice
- 1 can (15 oz.) pinto, garbanzo or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- ¼ cup each fresh cilantro and parsley leaves, chopped
- In sauce pot over medium-high heat, cook oil 30 seconds or until heated.
- Add beef, turkey or chicken and cook 5 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from skillet; drain, if desired.
- In same sauce pot, cook onions, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in next 6 ingredients and cooked meat.
- Add up to 1 cup water to thin soup, if desired.
- Cover and bring soup just to a simmer (do not let boil).
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cilantro and parsley; cover and let simmer 5 minutes more.
Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired. Soup can be stored up to 5 days in the refrigerator or frozen for 2-3 weeks.
For vegetarian option, omit meat and add another can of beans.
Omit the beans for Phase 1.