Turkey Sausage and Kale Soup
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 3 quarts - 8 to 10 servings
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced/pressed
- 8-10 baby carrots, halved
- 8-10 grape tomatoes
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 1 large bunch kale, coarsely chopped
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, cubed
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Turkey Sausages:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon red pepper, finely chopped
- ½ small onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced/pressed
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- Saute onions, sweet potatoes and carrots for five minutes.
- Add garlic and broth and simmer one minute.
- Toss in remaining ingredients and add more broth if needed.
- Simmer on low heat covered for two hours. While simmering make Turkey Sausages
- Mix all ingredients and form into mini turkey balls the size of a quarter. Brown in pan coated with thin layer of chicken broth or olive oil spray. Turn frequently. Cut in half and saute the the middle. Add to soup.