Makes 4 servings
Spicy African Collard Greens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 2 pounds collard greens, washed and cut into thin strips
- Olive oil spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 packet Stevia Plus (optional)
- Lightly coat a 6-quart stockpot with olive oil spray; heat over medium-high setting.
- Add chopped yellow onions and garlic.
- Sauté until onion is caramelized, about 5 minutes, adding small amounts of broth for moisture as needed.
- Stir in jalapeno and green onions.
- Add greens to the stockpot; mix well.
- Stir in hot water, dried spices and Stevia Plus. (if using)
- Partially cover; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until greens are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. (Add small amounts of hot water if needed to keep greens from becoming dry.)
Make your own no-salt-added Chicken Broth using our recipe!
Submitted By: Dot (dotsie), Forum Member (9-17-10)
Dot’s Notes: For most tender greens, remove center vein of each leaf before slicing.
*Note: Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.