Shrimp Stuffed Eggplant
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 medium eggplants, cut in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth (more if needed)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped (or 1 can stewed tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons chives or scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup black olives, pitted and halved
- 1 lb. cooked shrimp, thawed and drained (can be chopped if you like)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scoop out eggplant meat leaving a ½ inch thick shell.
- Set shells aside. Chop eggplant flesh.
- Heat chicken stock in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in garlic and eggplant flesh. Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until eggplant is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, chives and olives. Increase heat to medium high and simmer 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in shrimp.
- Spoon filling into eggplant shells. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until top is brown and bubbly.
- Phase 3 Variation: Melt no-salt added swiss cheese on top.