"Sausage" and Peppers
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 28-ounce can Muir Glen crushed tomatoes
- Pinch of cayenne (or to taste)
- In a pan, toast the fennel seeds over medium heat. Once toasted, remove to cool.
- Spray a light coating of olive oil spray in the same pan and add ground turkey and cook until cooked through.
- While turkey cooks, crush fennel seeds with a mortar and pestle or rolling pin.
- Once meat is ready, add crushed fennel seeds, garlic and onion. Cook until onion begins to soften, then add red pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, then add tomatoes and cayenne.
- Reduce heat slightly and cook until tomatoes thicken to desired consistency. Enjoy!
- Phase 2 Variation: Add ½ tablespoon oregano and basil
- Notes: Excellent served over spaghetti squash, zucchini or spinach!