Makes about 4 cups
- 3 large tomatoes, halved
- 4 tomatillos, halved
- 1-2 jalapenos, chopped
- ½ medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 6 green onions, coarsely chopped (white part only)
- ⅓ cup cilantro, or to taste
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice from 1 lime, or to taste
- Grill the tomatoes and tomatillos over medium heat until skin is charred and flesh is soft on the inside, about 10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool; coarsely chop.
- Place jalapenos, green peppers, garlic, green onions and cilantro into food processor; pulse briefly to combine.
- Add apple cider vinegar and lime juice to food processor; pulse for a few seconds until well mixed.
- Add the tomatoes and tomatillos; pulse until salsa reaches desired consistency.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If salsa is too watery, drain off some of the juice.
Submitted By: Gina A. (Azmunks), Forum Member (6-29-03)
Gina’s Notes: The secret to the deep flavor of this salsa is grilling the tomatoes and tomatillos.
*Note: Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.