Fat Flush Crockpot Spaghetti
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 7 cups (4 large servings)
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ pounds frozen lean ground beef
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- ½ cup bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 14-ounce can Muir Glen (or similar) diced tomatoes
- 2 6-ounce cans Muir Glen (or similar) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon SweetLeaf stevia
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- Dash of cayenne
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped (or 1-2 tablespoon dried parsley)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, set aside
- Place onions and garlic in the bottom of the crockpot. If using the leanest ground meat simply unwrap and place frozen in crockpot. If you are using less lean meat, then you'll need to brown it first to render out the fat.
- Place chopped veggies (except mushrooms) over the beef. Pour undrained diced tomatoes over veggies and frozen beef. In a small bowl, mix tomato paste with spices. Pour spiced tomato paste into crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. In the last hour or so, break up the beef with a spoon and mix well. Stir in mushrooms. Cover and complete cooking.
- Serve over hot spaghetti squash.
- Phase 2 Variation: Add 2 teaspoons oregano
- Phase 3 Variation: Add oregano + ½ teaspoon thyme + ½ teaspoon salt (add salt just before serving)