Makes 8 servings
- Olive oil spray
- 2 pounds lean beef (flank or skirt steak), cut into 1 x 3-inch strips, or stewing beef, cubed
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ cups no-salt-added beef broth
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (or to taste)
- 1½ to 2- inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, toss together beef and dry spices.
- Lightly coat a 4- quart stockpot with olive oil spray; heat over medium-high setting.
- Sauté beef on all sides until evenly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in beef broth. “Deglaze” the pan by stirring constantly (at medium-high heat) while loosening any brown bits stuck to the bottom.
- Remove beef and broth mixture to a bowl.
- In the same pot, lightly coat again with olive oil spray; heat over medium-high setting.
- Sauté onion, garlic, peppers, jalapenos and ginger for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, vinegar and reserved beef and broth.
- Cover; simmer over medium-low setting for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beef is very tender and falls apart. (Do not let boil.)
- Remove beef from pot and shred with a fork; return to pot to keep warm.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro.
Serve with steamed vegetables. Dish may be made 2 days ahead. Reheat over medium-low setting until hot, about 10 minutes. May also be frozen.
Make your own no-salt-added Beef Broth using our recipe!
Submitted By: Nina M. (nina) Forum Member (8-3-06)
Nina’s Notes: Here you have a traditional Korean dish, Fat Flush style!
*Note: Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.