1-2-3 Beef Broth
Recipe type: Soup
- 3 pounds beef shank bones
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 quarts purified water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Place bones and onion in a roasting pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bones are browned.
- Remove from oven.
- Place bones and onion in a large stockpot.
- Add water, vinegar, celery, carrot, parsley, garlic, and bay leaves to the stockpot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 3 hours.
- Strain and discard vegetables and bones— save the meat for later use or another recipe.
- Refrigerate and use within 3 days, or freeze.
*Note: Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.