Makes 4 servings
- 4 cups no-salt-added chicken or beef broth (use less if you want a thicker soup)
- 1 pound medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup no-salt-added chicken or beef broth (additional)
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, chopped (optional)
- In a 2-quart pot, heat broth to boiling.
- Cook sweet potatoes in broth until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain; reserving the broth.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the remaining ¼ cup broth over medium-high setting until bubbly.
- Sauté onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes.
- In a blender, place onion mixture and sweet potatoes, adding just enough of reserved broth to puree.
- Return potato mixture and remaining broth to stockpot.
- Reheat gently, uncovered over medium-low heat until hot.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. (optional)
Store, covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Submitted by: Darby, (darby) Forum Member (10-27-04)
Darby’s Notes: “I made this soup tonight and it’s delicious. I adapted a recipe I found in the Chicago Tribune, making some changes to make it Fat Flush Friendly.”
This recipe is approved for Phase 2 and 3.
Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.