Makes 4-6 servings
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cut sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced yellow squash
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato purée (Muir Glen)
- 3 scallions, cut into 4-inch lengths, white parts cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups plum or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- ¼ cup minced basil
- ¼ cup minced Italian (flat) parsley
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, peppers, and mushrooms; sauté until the vegetables are tender. Remove to a separate bowl.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil and sauté the zucchini and yellow squash until softened.
- Stir in the pepper mixture and tomato purée; cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the scallions, plum tomatoes, cilantro, basil, and parsley.
- Let simmer 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- Serve warm.
Adapted from ‘Hot Times: How to Eat Well, Live Healthy, and Feel Sexy During the Change’.
*Note: Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.