Old Fashioned Crockpot Chili
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 1¼ pounds lean ground meat (beef or turkey)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Cayenne, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Place the onions, bell peppers and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the meat over the vegetables.
- Place the mushrooms and celery on top of the meat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (or on high for 4 to 5 hours)
- About 45 minutes prior to serving, use a wooden spoon to break apart the meat, if needed.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.
For Phase 3, feel free to add 1 can of kidney beans.
*Note: Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.