Hearty Mushroom Chili
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 12 black olives, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato puree
- 2 (14½-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cayenne, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, place the beef, onions, and garlic and brown until the beef is nearly done.
- Add the green pepper and mushrooms; cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except cilantro.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with cilantro just before serving.
*Note: Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.