Creamy Mushroom Soup
A healthy weight loss friendly version of cream of mushroom soup, this rich and satisfying soup is sure to please!
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 pound button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Pinch of cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 cups no-salt-added Chicken Broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 bunch watercress, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1½ cups silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, steam mushrooms, cumin, onion powder, 1 tablespoon of broth, and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Steam for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain steamed mixture and set aside, reserving the liquid in the pot.
- To the pot, add the watercress and chopped onion.
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining broth and ½ of the mushroom mixture; simmer for another 10 minutes.
- In a blender, place the mixture, tofu, parsley, and the remaining lemon juice; puree the mixture.
- Place the pureed mixture back in the pot, add the remaining mushrooms and reheat.
- Serve hot.
Make your own no-salt-added Chicken Broth using our recipe!
*Note: Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.