Recipe type: Soup
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups no-salt-added vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups zucchini, cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added canned tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups shredded kale, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped, or to taste
- Saute onions in ½ cup stock until transparent. Add cumin, cinnamon and cayenne, stir and continue to cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet potato chunks and the remaining stock. Simmer covered for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the zucchini and tomatoes and continue to simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender. Add the kale and continue cooking for 10 to 15 more minutes. Stir in the lime/lemon juice and cilantro.
- Variations: For a protein option, add in diced chicken. It's a great way to use leftovers! For phase 2, serve over spaghetti squash. For phase 3, serve over brown rice.